Friday, February 19, 2010

100 Posts Later, I Stood Up For Myself

I want to be an Olympian.  It's terribly depressing to me that I generally suck at every sport or physical activity I've ever done aside from aerobics and running.  Last I checked, there isn't a gold metal in yelling and stepping in place, and I'm not built for running that turns into competitive running.  I'm not just saying that--I have a broken foot (now healed)  to prove it.

I hope everyone's been watching the Olympics.  This is actually my first year of really truly watching the winter Olympics, which I usually watch for the ice skating and then forget are on.  I really think that the winter Olympics are by far the most dangerous combination of sports that exist.  Sadly, we have a reminder of that with the death of the Georgian luger, and you only need to watch a downhill alpine skiing race for 5 minutes to see a wipe out that could potentially kill or severely injure anyone.  Like any NASCAR fan, I've waited for the crashes, but I've also come to hail these athletes as some of the best in existence.  I'm amazed by their abilities.  It inspires me to do better, to train harder, and to say something to my counselor at work I hadn't really expected to say.

We have a review 2x a year where we're given a rating on a scale.  My counselor is a good guy, he works hard and he cares about my progress.  He began our conversation by talking a little bit about the next step in my career and the types of activities I'd need to be doing to move from being a good, solid employee, to an exemplary one.  I've seen friends of mine hit this point in their career and I want nothing to do with it.  Work life balance becomes a lot more of a work life blend.  I could go on, but I won't.  It's a choice that people make and if that's their passion, far be it from me to condemn them.  It just isn't mine.

I stopped him and told him that I was fine being a good, solid employee, that my passion was really in what I did outside of the office (fitness), and since its company policy that they're okay with me having a work/life balance, and that they are happy when we're good, solid employees, then I had made up my mind.

Bottom line: For the first time in my life, I haven't given 110% to something.  I've only given 100% because I want to dedicate whatever spare time I have to being an instructor, a trainer, and an athlete in my own right.  Why?  Because it makes me want to get up in the morning.  Simply and honestly put, it's my passion.

My counselor, bless him, looked at me for a moment and then really surprised me by saying:
"I am really glad to hear you say that.  It's really the first time I've gotten to see your personality, normally you just tell me everything's fine.  You seem a lot happier; I'll support you in that decision and I'll defend you if it comes to that."

What a weight off of my shoulders.  So, with that, I'm ordering my personal training studying materials, and getting to work. I now have 120 days to certify.

One of my gyms has also asked if I would be interested in representing them at a Les Mills certification for Body Pump (one of my favorite classes).  Three days of learning and doing, and I cannot wait.  What an great gift to be chosen!

Chadd, the most wonderful boyfriend, gave me my birthday present last weekend at dinner:  personal training sessions.  Ever concerned about my self image, he prefaced the gift by saying that if I wasn't interested, I didn't have to accept the gift and that this shouldn't reflect at all on me, but that he thought this was something I would enjoy.  You can imagine my reaction...

OMG WHY WOULD YOU THINK I WOULDN'T WANT THIS OMG OMG OMG THIS IS THE BEST GIFT EVER

I freaked out a little. I have always wanted my own trainer to push me.  Hell, Olympians have trainers!  The most elite athletes in the world have trainers!  SIGN ME UP!  Chadd's intention was two fold: not only do I want my own trainer, but since I'm taking my exam soon, he wanted to make sure that I had someone who could help me as I got ready.  How awesome.

In summation, on this Friday afternoon, I feel like I've done a Herculean feat--I stood up for my passion and I was supported.  Do something today to stand up for your passion and tell me how good it feels

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! :) Thrilled for you and all the great things that are coming your way.

    Also, let me know how the body pump certification is. I'm soooo curious about the Les Miles classes. They make me want a gym membership!

    ReplyDelete