Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Frozen Food Review (3)

A few days late, but nevertheless, a third frozen food review for you on my quest to find something beyond a lean cuisine pizza.

Kashi Pesto Pasta Primavera

The Skinny:
Calories: 290
Fat: 11g
Carbs: 37g
Protein: 11g

Taste:
Surprisingly fresh.  It really did taste like I'd just cooked it myself--the peas in the pasta were crunchy instead of mushy.  I was very very pleased with how flavorful the meal was.  Pesto was salty without being processed, the veggies were crisp, and the pasta had life instead of being, well, again mush.

Rating:
Presentation (1-10): 9.  Top of the charts, but something green over brown pasta is never stunning to look at.  The veggies were different colors though (they retained their color) and the food had texture.  I wasn't going...eww when I opened the package.
Taste (1-60): 53 Not quite as good as the Amy's tamale, which was a tough act to follow.  The pasta was great, but I needed more variety.  The food tasted fresh and clean, though, so a 55 is almost unfair.
Satiety (1-15): 8.5 Needed just a few more bites...then again, that's why it's 290 calories and not 310.
Nutritional Balance (1-15): 13, same as the tamale.  Less food, less calories.  I liked the protein appearance and I expected a high carb count there for the pasta.

Total (out of 100): 83.5

Would I buy it again? Yup.  It's steep ($4.75), but it's fresh, and a nice pasta option (especially over the Lean Cuisine ravioli). Just make sure to bring extra fruit and veggies, it'll leave you hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment