Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Eating Locally - Buffalo and Greens

I'm sorry I've been terrible about eating locally.  I've been able to get to the market frequently, but the challenge has had to sit on the side lines since a) $30 is a lot for 1 dinner and b) I'm tired on Sunday nights.  We've been doing Thai takeout (mmmm veggie curry = low calorie delicious), or this Sunday, Chadd was the man of the year and made me a beautiful Chilean sea bass filet with tomatoes, olives, potatoes and broccoli after my crazy intense training over the weekend.  He went so far as to pick a low calorie recipe.  Love that wonderful man of mine.

BUT.  Last weekend, I did manage to stop by the market after class.  I picked up two buffalo steaks--one for Chadd (a ribeye) and one tiny one for me (a petite filet).  The guy told me that because buffalo has less fat, that I should cook it for a shorter time, but I should season it just like a steak.  Total was about $16

I also picked up a big basket of mixed greens, which came with the suggestion to heat some olive oil with garlic, dump the greens in, cover and steam for about 3 minutes on the stove.  I mixed in a little goat cheese afterwards and now that I think about it, I definitely should have added some pine nuts which are floating around in my spice cabinet.  Greens = $5

I melted some butter (1 tbsp) and cooked Chadd's steak first on high heat to seal in the juices, I let it cook for about a minute and a half on each side, then I tossed my steak in and probably did four minutes total--2 on each side.

The result?


Greens with goat cheese: 190
Buffalo steak (1/4 pound): 165 (holy lean mean!)
Total: 355

I recommend the buffalo--find it at your local farmer's market if you're lucky enough!  DC folks, Cibola Farms is our local supplier at Dupont's Farmers Market.

1 comment:

  1. yummy, love bison, is it the same thing?
    Last night while roasting some vegetables I tossed some mushrooms with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blue cheese and sliced almonds. Roasted those fellows in a foil packet at 400. I was combining some odd memories of a Fine Cooking recipe with the Stonewood potato chips...it worked really well.
    love...

    ReplyDelete