Thursday, January 14, 2010

Get Over It

I think most people know that I'm a nice person.  And if you're one of my regular followers who doesn't know me in person, I hope that you assume I'm a nice person.  But I have to tell you.  Sometimes, I'm not.

In fact, sometimes I'm humorously sarcastic, a little judgment, and to be frank, I call people on the carpet, a la Jillian Michaels (who I love. a lot.).  Today I don't feel like being nice, I'm going to rip this whole thing to shreds.

This article...blew my mind.
http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2010/01/14/News/Study.Exercise.Regimens.Are.Harder.To.Keep.For.Obese-3853266.shtml?reffeature=textemailedition

Really folks?  Are we dumb?  Choice quotes:
"[A} new University Medical Center study shows those who most need a fitness regimen have a harder time adhering to it"

....wouldn't that by why they're the people who need it most?  People who don't need it probably don't have a hard time sticking to the maintenance regiment they already have.

"It's not all body image issues. It's issues with being uncomfortable; uncomfortable with exercising in front of people who are more fit; with exercising in front of people of the opposite sex; with the equipment," Miller said."

I think this is a lot of horse crap.  Let me tell you why.  I am the first person to admit that it can be intimidating to walk into a gym for the first time, fit or not, and go work out.  People like to look like they know what they're doing, especially when sweating and panting.  I get that.  Gyms get that.  Which is why there are a billion and one ways to over come it.  I became an instructor for that reason.  People become trainers to teach, not to condescend.  If you've had a condescending trainer, so help me God, I will hunt them down.  Clubs station people everywhere who want to help you if you ask.  And lemme tell ya, that chick on the treadmill who weighs 105 AFTER consuming Chipotle, honey she is too in her own head to notice you beside her.   I PROMISE. 

Also.  If it really matters to you, you'll get over it or you'll find a gym, trainer, fitness DVD, that makes you more comfortable.  But don't ever tell me that your health matters to you then crap out when you are uncomfortable.  I'm uncomfortable doing things.  Snowboarding, for example.  I suck at it more than most people.  I'm also very uncomfortable.  But when a 3 year old zooms by me, I don't quit.  I keep falling my way down the bunny slope.  GET OVER IT or don't whine about the consequences.  Get out of your comfort zone and get healthy.  Huge pet peeve of mine.

"The study showed that those who were overweight or obese often ranked exercise as more important to a healthy lifestyle than others who were already fit."

Because fit people don't need to prioritize it.  Or they already have and it's part of the routine.  Also, that's crap.  That's a verbal study, because if people who are overweight or obese really DO rank exercise as more important, its lip service.

Do me and you a favor.  Be honest with yourself, don't tell me, don't tell your spouse, or your best friend.  Write it down for yourself.  Name your top three priorities for me.  And don't' tell me "Husband, Kids, Job" as in things you do for other people.  I mean things that you do for you.  Name them.  They do not have to be ranked.

Mine?

1) My health/sanity.  I'm not kidding.  This means my happiness, and what goes into that: eating well, being active, sleeping enough (which I need to make a bigger priority), and staying emotionally healthy and spiritually focused.  If I don't feel good, nothing else can function in my world.
2) Chadd.  He's my partner.  If he doesn't feel good, I don't feel good. 
3) My relationships.  Family, friends, coworkers, my classes, etc.  My relationships are extraordinarily important to me.  I am a people person.

"The research shows that they have issues centering around negative emotions," Miller said about why obese people have a harder time keeping resolutions to go to the gym despite their knowledge of the importance of exercise.

Miller's study also came to the conclusion that college-aged students were less susceptible to the lack of comfort and negative emotions associated with the gym environment."

The one positive thing about this study is that it proves that if fitness is a focus growing up (my generation), it's part of daily life.  Gyms are a relatively new phenomenon.  My generation grew up comfortable with them, and despite record obesity records and childhood obesity records, I hope that it will decrease due to this comfort level.
 
Augh.

No comments:

Post a Comment