Monday, January 4, 2010

Eating Locally - Week 2, Chicken, Hedgehog Mushrooms, Goat Cheese, and Acorn Squash

Alllll right, sorry this came a day late. Chadd got called into the office, moving our movie time back from 3 til 6:50 so we grabbed a quick dinner before the movie and got home in time for me to pass out.

Tonight, I live blog:
French cut chicken breast
Eco Friendly Foods
Moneta, Va (247 miles)
$6.72

Hedgehog Mushrooms
The Mushroom Stand
Chester County, PA (118 miles)
$10.00

Acorn Squash
Spring Valley Ranch
Romney, West Virginia (133 miles)
$2.50

Piedmont Goat Cheese
Everona Dairy
Rapidan, VA (82 miles)
$11.35

Total: $30.57 Ohhh yeah!

On the menu? Pan cooked chicken breast with shallots, mushrooms, tomatoes and goat cheese. Roasted acorn squash.

I sliced the acorn squash down the vertical, put them face down on a pan in a 375 degree oven and they've been in there for about...30 minutes. We'll see how long it takes, I've seen reports from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours, (update: 45 minutes).

In the meantime, I'm sauteing a large shallot that I had sitting around, about to wash off the mushrooms and chop those to bits. I put a baking sheet over the pan to release the moisture.

Mushrooms and shallots now mixing together with 1 tsp butter. Shaving down some cheese for the sauce....toss in probably 2 tbsp. of white wine, a half a tomato, and boom. Sauce complete, over chicken, add the delicious acorn squash and I basically inhaled that as soon as I put it down.

Review:
The chicken...oh man. I see why people by locally grown chicken. Free range bird is amazingly flavorful and tender. Literally, a half a piece of a breast filled me up. The mushrooms were very very flavorful, a little buttery and nutty, which was amazing, especially paired with the shallots. The tomatoes helped tone down the flavor, since it was pretty strong. All in all...I did a MUCH better job this time.

Shout out to the awesome farmers who braved the horrid cold and wind to bring an amazing spread to Dupont. Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow! Must get sleep before yoga in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment