Monday, June 15, 2009

Results: Week 1

So, here we are on day 8.

I've surprised myself with how often I've gone to the gym. It helps that K comes with me. I was skeptical at first--30 minutes a day, that's it? But strangely, it works. Chadd has noticed little things here and there. Yesterday, the flattering commentary went something like this:

"You're looking good, honey, keep it up"
"I think your arms look like you're toning. I like it."

When I said I thought my legs looked leaner, he agreed.

There is no greater motivator, aside from major events, than a boyfriend's encouragement. Chadd has taken on the brutal duty of being honest with me, at my request. To most men, this is equivalent of lighting your last cigarette, blind folding yourself, and standing before a firing squad. He's taken his share of flack, but for the most part, he can feel free to correct me, I think I've taken his commentary well. (The definition of well may include tears). But truly, I don't give him the credit he deserves.

But back to working out. I'm a big fan of the 30 minute workouts. When I can do more, I do, but I never feel stressed out about going to the gym. The workout is very inclusive, I am often sore the next day, but I never feel like the exercises are too hard--for that matter, I'm still a little concerned that I'm not using heavy enough weights. I vow to try a bit harder tonight.

The eating is not for my lifestyle. I could do it if I had access to a kitchen to make some of these things throughout the day. But for the most part, I have to be able to pack and store 3-4 of my 5 meals a day. My new theory is to stick by the concepts of the food.

For example, this morning was probably something along the lines of oatmeal. I combined my first and second meals and had dry kashi cereal, a cup of coffee, and a thing of raspberries.

Dinner tonight will likely be a big salad with grilled chicken.

I would, however, like to be in the habit of using the protein powder (oatmeal = tolerable), and the flax seed oil. Apparently it's good for your heart and potentially good at cancer prevention. I like the smoothies, so I guess flax seed will be sticking around for a bit.

But the bottom line is lots of fish (some chicken--stick with lean lean proteins), very few carbs (all complex), and an abundance of vegetables and a few pieces of fruit. It's very similar to eating a lot of unprocessed foods.

So the two things holding me back?

1) sleep: despite sleeping a ridiculous amount this weekend, I'm still deprived. Mostly because I made a huge dinner last night for Chadd and since I didn't get started on roasting the beef until sometime around 9:30, we had a late late dinner. I fell asleep around 2 am.

Part of my fix on this is getting onto a schedule. While I failed this morning, from now on, I'm going to be in bed no later than 11 with the lights off. If I need to (though I doubt I will), I'm going to take a tylenol pm and get on track. I will get up every morning an hour before I need to leave (something I haven't done since before I was in high school). I need time to put on make up, straighten my hair, choose an outfit, feed the cats, eat at home, and head out with a clear head. I will probably be a lot happier. This will start tomorrow (at least I hope).

For now, time to go home, find a suitable snack (I'm thinking cottage cheese and a few triscuits) and hit the gym with K.

Also, I need to buy a measuring tape. Measurements (am I seriously that brave?...) to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment