Friday, March 20, 2009

Win: Eggplant Lasgna

I love pasta.

That's a dumb statement. Who DOESN'T love pasta? It's fast, it tastes good by itself and even better with cheese and other amazingness.

But I could live on pasta.

I'm actually not a lasgna fan, but I was willing to give it a shot because of the eggplant (I know, right? go with me here).

A few years ago, a roommate and I tried to make eggplant parmesean. I came up with the idea after I had a phenominal dish at a little Italian place in Georgetown. I came up with this recipe:

This is the most amazing thing I've ever eaten.

So, when my volumetrics cookbook suggested Eggplant Parm, I gave it a shot.

You know my background, let me tell you about Chadd, who will serve as my recipe tester 90% of the time. Chadd is a young 20's normal guy. He burns through calories like a fire in a dry california forest. If he goes to the gym, he is capable of losing 10 million pounds and gaining it all back in muscle. He's that long lean baseball player type of which we are all envious. When he sits on his butt and plays video games, he loses weight. Don't ask me how, I wasn't a physics/nutrition/magic major. It's a guy thing.

What is abnormal of Chadd is that he is an incredibly picky eater. He would contend that over the past year of being away, he's gained a very expansive palate. I'll say that he'll try most anything once, but he still has his favorites. He cooks with butter and heavy cream and I'll be damned if it isn't the best food ever. But I gain weight when he cooks....or I eat a 10th of it and starve.

(My signature dish in college was actually Chadd's invention: pasta with heavy cream, butter, garlic, tomatos, peas, and mushrooms.)

When he liked the eggplant parm (see above), I jumped at our eggplant lasgna recipe. I suggest you all get the volumetrics cookbook since I can't find a link and don't want to get in trouble.

Regardless, while it was very good, it was a lot more time consuming than the eggplant parm, and Chadd thinks the parm was better. Number 1 cat thinks otherwise and has just now stolen chadd's leftover teaspoon of eggplant.

I vote with humans on food. While the volumetrics was good, I give the win to cooking light.


Dessert: I <3 skinny cow ice cream pops.
Friday night tip: A glass of white wine is about 46 calories. Save up during the day by eating fruits as snacks and you can throw back a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment