Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hashing

I got home last night and almost crapped out on my run. I was getting tired, I knew that, even though I had plenty of time, I had plenty of things that needed to be done....namely procuring a new hair dryer and going to the grocery.

And then the most amazing thing happened. I remembered how good it feels to throw on a pair of sweats and a tank top, slide on flip flops and run errands.

So, I charged up my iPod, found my Nike + iPod shoe chip and set course for a 5k. From my place, a 5k gets me just past the Naval Observatory and then back--this is taking the route up Mass Ave, which showcases one of the biggest, longest, hills in DC.

One of my coworkers was supposed to join me, but she decided to go her own way last night.

Fine on my end, the weather was gorgeous last night, a real runner's dream: mid 70's, slight breeze, sunny. When I got home, I changed into my sweats and walked over to the bigger safeway to get some of the items we've been missing: milk, yogurt, veggies, lean cuisine. And headed home, talking to my med school friend who has arrived in the states, finally!

When I sat down at my desk last night, a few things hit me:
1) I like running with people
2) I miss having a group of friends.

Last year, I played kickball with a good friend of mine. Times changed, we went our own ways, and I quit kickball. Someone mentioned the Hashers the other day and it flooded back to me--the hashers are a group of runners (though they claim to not take themselves too seriously) who drink at pit stops through their 4-6 mile run, and then hit the bar afterwards. Their attitude seems to be a mix of ultimate frisbee (they sing songs), kickball (alcohol), and the crazy runners (because who else can drink and run 4-6 miles?)

So I did a little research and joined the mailing list for the White House Hashers. We'll see how that goes. Potentially, the first run I'd be able to make is Monday...

I'll let you know if I make it Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment