Friday, December 11, 2009

Finally Friday (and it's FREEZING)

I only have about 20 minutes until I need to leave the office to commence awesome Christmas shopping time with my gym buddy and have wine and dinner and a jolly good time, so I'll keep it brief.

I decided last night that before I could get my nails done and my eyebrows waxed (let's talk about a mess), I had to go to the gym or go for a run. Since I had a full hour of toning on Wednesday night, I was due for some good old fashioned cardio. I was all pumped, getting ready to leave my office, to throw on my running pants, a long sleeved shirt and a zip up and get out there.

The winter gods punched me in the face when I walked out of my office and into the metro. I didn't even go outside! Sucker punched by the frigid weather. No thanks.

By the time I got home, I was at least 30% ice and really in the mood for my favorite nails place (Dupont Nails on 20th, FYI), to rub my hands. But I made that promise (one of the P's) and I had to go through with it. Logical choice says go to the gym where it's warm. But for whatever reason I was really craving a good run up to the zoo (about 2.5 miles round trip).

Despite my better judgement, I suited up....in just running tights, a long sleeve shirt and a fleece, complete with my pink and white skulls bandana and went out for a run. Great googily moogily, as my mom would say. FREEZING.

I did get the whole way there and back with pretty good time (despite a few ill timed stop lights) and got back in time to dethaw before hypothermia set in. It was that cold. A good run didnt' help me warm up. Then the winter side effect that I had forgotten about set in: coughing.

I spent the next 30 minutes coughing my lungs up, my chest burning. I need to do the research on why this happens--so prepare for an update. Suffice to say, I let my friend know who is doing the Jingle All the Way 10k this weekend to wear a bandana over her mouth to keep some of that air going in a bit warmer and not ice pick cold.

Don't forget to give me 10! Next week, starting Monday, we're going up 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment