Thursday, March 8, 2012

Breaking Through

If I could bottle and sell the way I felt in the pool Tuesday night, I could be a billionaire.

I'll admit, I had some hesitation going into Tuesday night's workout. I had to be at Miriam's Kitchen in the morning, so my normal 2 a day was going to be compressed into one, huge workout after work.

My day was stressful at the office so by the time I left, I was pretty keyed up and already stressing about my workout. Once I got home I realized I was doing exactly what I'd said I wouldn't do in my last post...go into a workout knowing I was going to be miserable.

Instead, I pulled together a spin class that I was really excited about. Three huge mountains, some speed work, but mostly strength work. Class looked like this:
Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn): Warm Up
Sweet Thing (Keith Urban): Warm Up 
Impossible (Anberlin): Climb (alternate 2 minutes in saddle, 2 out, moderate incline)
The End With You (Box Car Racer): Climb (alternate 2 minutes in saddle, 2 out, strong incline)
Think About Me (Goo Goo Dolls): Hill Spikes (seated, 30 seconds fast flat, 30 seconds strong resistance)
Bleed American (Jimmy Eat World): Speed work: 30 seconds fast, 30 seconds normal (1x) 45-15 (remainder)
Injection (Rise Against): Running
Breakdown (Forever the Sickest Kids): Jumps (4 beats, full song) 
Scartissue (Red Hot Chili Peppers): Fast Flat/Recovery
Drive (Incubus): Seated strong incline
This is Who We Are (Cartel): standing strong incline
One in a Lifetime (Talking Heads): seated flat for 15 seconds, strong standing incline 45 seconds
Your Misfortune (Mike Doughty): 3 minutes in saddle with moderate resistance, 1 minute out of saddle, strong resistance 
Forever Lost (Pretty Lights): 3 minutes in saddle with moderate resistance, 1 minute out of saddle, strong resistance
Druken Lullabies (Flogging Molly): 30 seconds surge, 30 seconds running, 30 seconds out of saddle climb
Summer Skin (Death Cab for Cutie): Cool Down
You Are Mine (Mute Math): Cool Down

Aria and I chatted while I closed up the class. She'd stayed for my class, so she'd already done her two hours and I thought "Mia, it's only two hours...this isn't some sort of Mt. Everest. Just go do it." I threw on my bathing suit, rinsed off my sweat, and headed down to the pool.

I strongly suggest hitting up the pool at night at the Y. Around 8:30, no one is in the pool. Even with two lanes reserved for the Masters Swim, I had an entire lane to myself for an hour. The only downer about this whole experience were the foot/toe cramps and the charlie horse that kept flaring up. I get it, bananas, I promise I'll start eating you again.

My swim workout was: 
200 Warm Up
3 x 75 (25 drill, 25 fast, 25 easy)
1 x 400
4 x 150 (odd fast, even easy)
1 x 400
5 x 25 (all fast with 15 seconds rest between each)
200 Cool Down

This was my first time trying out drills. Here's a great video that Coach sent out with basic drills. I tried the catch up drill and the one armed drill and was pleasantly surprised. I will say that maybe I need to take the video's advice and try using an object in front of me to accurately do the catch-up drill. I was constantly starting with my other arm too early.

The first 200 was easy. I mean, it's a warm up, so it should be. But y'all, three short weeks ago, a 200 was a death march. Heart rate up, I tackled the 3x75s and blew through those.

The first four hundred. Talk about a mental hurdle. This is 16 lengths of my pool. For you new runners out there, it's the same mental freak out as me saying "let's do 16 laps of the track!" I got through the 4 hundred with only a few seconds of clinging to the edge here and there. 

The 4x150's took a surprisingly long time, but, for the first time, I FINALLY felt like I had some speed control. And let me tell you, the fast odd lengths were amazing. I kept saying to myself over and over again, "triathlete, triathlete, triathlete" "iron, iron, iron."

I finished the rest of the workout with minimal cramping and headed home. The soreness kicked in halfway through the biggest loser, but it HURT SO GOOD. This isn't the first time I've done two hours of workouts in a row. I've going to Les Mills certifications and gone for 2+ hour training runs, but for some reason, Tuesday night was different. Maybe it was the pool? Regardless.

That accomplishment, that pain I experienced waking up on Wednesday was a great feeling. My muscles were tired, but happy. For the first time, I felt like a triathlete. And that's why it's worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job! I loved starting with country music at spin class, also I think it was my sweatiest spin towel ever! I need to build up the courage to try the swimming pool out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have started enjoying swimming...and I've noticed a HUGE change in my upper body and I'm sure it's only helping my lungs. The hardest part of starting swimming was knowing all the social cues at the pool, lol

      Delete
  2. Seriously, I will pay you whatever you want. I did my first 200 today but girl you need to learn me about these long swims!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a LOT of breaks. A LOT. We'll talk more on Saturday :)

      Delete
  3. Nice job at sportz! We still need to get together for a swim sometime. By the way, I just put the pieces together and realized YOU are the Tues pm spin teacher my friend raves about. She loves your class. :)

    ReplyDelete