Tuesday, December 14, 2010

5k and Ham Salad

This morning, despite the fact that the bed was warm and it was f'ing freezing outside of the covers (I have a boy and two cats to suffice as heaters, so we save the electricity and turn off the heat at night...)

But I got up because I promised myself I would (and I didn't wash my hair, so there's always that motivator).  More snow this morning--it actually stuck on parts of the street.  I did 15 minutes on the bike, then 30 minutes on the treadmill.

This morning was a bit more difficult than yesterday, probably because my muscles were cold and tired.  But I did hammer out a 5k in 28:55, which, while not awesome, isn't my worst time by a long shot (remember the F*ck You Hills 5k aka the Wolf Traf Howloween 5k).  I pulled out a 3.25 in 30 minutes.

My chest is tired, which is to be expected.  Doesn't hurt that I did some chest work yesterday.

I made ham salad last night from Dad's recipe, which breaks down as follows:

[a little more than] 1 c. diced ham
1 hard boiled egg
1 Tbsp mayo
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 TBSP dried onion
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. paprika

Food process the ham to a grainy consistency (shouldn't be powder, but shouldn't be big enough to individually pick out the pieces), put aside
Food process the egg to same consistency, put in same bowl as ham
Add spices and mayo and mix.  You can add more mayo, if you want, but I found one TBSP per batch was more than fine.

Caloric value: for 1/4 cup, you're looking at about 110 calories.  I was really careful with the ham and sliced off as much fat as possible.

My lunch today:
2 pieces whole wheat bread: 123
Pickles: 20
1/2 cup ham salad: 220
Total: 343

Carefully budgeting the day around a drink tonight with an old friend from a previous internship.  Small world that we'd both end up in DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment