Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Freshmen 15

http://www.newsweek.com/id/215362/page/1

Interesting.

I'd be curious to see what you all think about this. Here's the reason. I agree with both side of the article and I'm actually slightly conflicted by it.

If you don't feel like reading the article, here's what it's all about:

Some colleges are starting to post caloric and nutritional information in their cafeterias. There's a big uproar among doctors and some college students/counselors that showing these calorie counts, etc. will probably encourage disordered eating and eating disordered (in case you're wondering, they are very different things). There is fear that with these calorie counts facing young people who are constantly teased about the potential freshman 15, there will be another jump in ED/DE/EDNOS. The last jump was nearly 10%, to a staggering 38%

HOWEVER

If you recall the start of this blog, then you'll remember that I was frustrated by the lack of calorie counts in places and the irritation of having to try to calculate calories, it's handy. I'd like to be able to have the calorie counts if I desired. I'd also like to see restaurants try to cook a bit better--especially college campuses. When people notice that the lasagne is 800 calories and stop eating it, maybe the cook will start using Pam instead of butter...or the lowfat cheese instead of the cheap 100% fat kind.

Can we compromise? Can we have a little booklet that people can pick up if they WANT to? How about we dont' plaster it across the salad bar Lettuce: Service: 1 leaf Calories: 2 or some such. I can see overly skinny heroine chic girls with calculators trying to figure out how many calories are in their lettuce leaves. But I can also see myself, while training for some race or another, going "whoa, 800 calories in a square of lasagne? i'll make take the stir fry instead"

Now that being said, for me...I never had a cafeteria since GW is all about not having to provide. But, if I'd had that luxury of a dining hall, I think I'd have approved of a booklet of nutritional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment